Week 4 Lab: TED Advise on Language

TED Logo
Image Link

First off, I love TED talks and I'm really upset that OU couldn't get its act together and TEDxOU has been moved to the fall after I've already graduated. I've gone the last three years so I'm pretty sad about this.

I watched the TEDEd Videos: Language. I might be an English teacher later this year so I thought these videos could help with more than my own storytelling.

These language videos were so interesting. The history behind languages and how they change is something I kind of already knew but not in as much detail. Cultures seem to be a major player in how we use languages. (I can't believe the difference between Old English and Modern English. I thought Old English was just 'thou' and 'ye' but it is almost completely different.)

I had no idea our 3 tenses can actually lead to 12 different variations. That is a little overwhelming. I'm grateful English is my first language, not sure how I could learn it any other way.
I had a literature teacher in high school that taught us to not use so many commas. Watching the video on semicolons was interesting then because I don't like to use any kind of comma in fear of my high school teacher being disappointed. I now understand the importance of punctuation when writing; it can really make or break the flow of the content. (Also in this video a period comes in and smacks the semicolon right off the screen and it cracked me up, I'd recommend watching the video just for that.)

I already knew this from my own experiences but these videos reminded me how hard it is to learn other languages.

Here's the link to the video playlist.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Soon Graduating Mariah

Comment Wall

Week 2 Story: The Sleepy Koala