Feedback Strategies

I see these plants growing with positive feedback.
Image Link

I enjoyed reading What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow because I am in the process of applying to be an ESL teacher for elementary school kids. I don't have formal teaching skills yet so I try to soak in any information that may make me a little better. While the methods may not be some I could specifically use in this course it's nice to know in general. The same ideas could definitely be applied in many situations.

How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk was another interesting read. All of the points seemed reasonable, do-able, and understandable. Leveling the playing field and explaining why are the two things I'd like to actively work on when giving feedback.

At work feedback generally comes in the form of 'this way is wrong you need to do it this way' and not so much 'this way is good but here are some ways to tweak it'. The presentation of feedback is really important for me but it requires a lot of thought on behalf of the person giving feedback, which they don't usually want to put in. A lot of people think only of themselves which I guess is fine but it can make feedback sound self centered and negative.

In my pre-capstone class we practiced giving positive, useful feedback so I think I have a pretty good base to build on. I hope that the stuff learned from the articles will turn out to be helpful.

Comments

  1. Hi Mariah, I am Braden. This post made me think back to all great teachers I had in elementary school. From Mrs. Lee to Mrs. Naylor they were all very good at giving feedback that really propelled me in my academic career. They were kind and gave some praise, but did not fear to give constructive criticism when it was needed. I think it is awesome that you want to become a teacher. It shows how much you value impacting others for the better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Soon Graduating Mariah

Comment Wall

Week 2 Story: The Sleepy Koala