Reading Notes: More Ramayana Part B

Sita Sings the Blues Movie Poster
Image Link

Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

The beginning of the second part is very modern bollywood-esque. It's easy to figure that the beginning sequence is showcasing the inner turmoil that comes from betrayal and heartbreak.
The narrators talking about how Sita could be pregnant with Ravana's kids, that would've been quite the twist. A way bigger twist than Rama rejecting and banishing Sita multiple times after getting her back.
It makes sense that Rama could've always had some small doubt about Sita's purity. It would help explain a bit why he was so willingly to listen to the common man and banish his wife.
I'm not sure if Nina's story was all that necessary to include but I guess it helped show how the Ramayana could be felt in modern times, and give a break from the main storytelling.
I didn't notice this before but Valmiki is the author of the Ramayana? And I thought Valmiki was a girl in the stories.
The sing-a-long of Rama's song is a funny touch to add to the movie-"duty first, Sita last"
I was really feeling the narrators comments about Sita.
Rama is ridiculous.
When reading the story I really couldn't picture the scene with Mother Earth, so I liked the video to help with that.
I am pleased with the ending. Vishnu doting on Lakshmi is great.

I don't know how animation works but this movie must have taken a decent amount of time to make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Soon Graduating Mariah

Comment Wall

Week 2 Story: The Sleepy Koala